Friday, January 30, 2009

Slumdog R?

Slumdog millionaire. Haven't heard of it? Haven't seen it? Do yourself a favour and go and see it.

It took me a while to find someone to go with. Everyone was like 'it's about what? Who's in it?' But I had read reviews and heard the hype around it, I wanted to go see 'the best movie of 2008', and I was not let down at all. By far the best of 2008, and 2009 will have to try pretty hard to come close to, if the only movie in sight is the new killer-dishwasher movie, Transformers 2.

But I got mummy to come along with me. She thought it sounded 'not very good' (she thought otherwise after the film) but also saw it as a time to spend time with her bestest son, me. And I saw it as a chance to not go alone.


The movie successfully highlights the problems in the area of the world as you watch the children struggle to grow up by themselves and make what little money they can. Their are some disturbing scene, but that is what keeps the movie true and honest. But there were also as many comedic and romantic scene that also balance the film out to be the gem it is.

Although just recently I have seen that in the USA it has been given an R rating. This is absurd. And I don't think I would be wrong in thinking that there are some politics at play. I have PG sitcoms box sets at home with worse language and themes. Although the 'themes' this time around might have been a little more real. Obviously this wasn't a major studio, big budget block buster, in fact it was never going to get made until some extra funding from FOX searchlight, but I have 2 thoughts on this. If the studio invested $30 million into the film, sent it away to the classification office, I would believe that it would of easily been rated MA. There has to be some money passed around the back, because it isn't 'business', their isn't another office to go to for getting rated. After all this was an indie type film, expected to flop. The other reason could be purely government related. Did this film get classified around election time? Would people's views about how the government and its policies on poverty and poorer nations come into the publics eyes if it was a wide released film with anyone being able to see it?

With those thoughts, go see the film. A film that I am happy to pay $15 to see.

Barney ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment